Translate

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Cutting Corners Doesn't Cut Costs.



As someone that is personally out and about in the food service industry, I have opportunity to see things that I really wish I didn't. I spent over twenty years in "operations." I have personally cooked food, waited on customers, cleaned drains (with toothbrushes), scrubbed toilets, and even wiped fecal matter off the walls (Yes - for some reason, certain customers feel compelled to do this...).

When I was a manager and eventually an Operating Partner, I wanted to operate my establishment in a manner that I could be certain the food was safe. This meant keeping the employees trained and the facility clean. I am astounded when I go out to conduct food safety inspections! I'm not speaking of working dirt. I can look beyond that issue. I am referring to total disregard for public health. I was so naïve in my early years I thought everyone had the same standards I did... silly me!

When money is tight and owners/managers start to make cuts, typically the first items cut are training and cleaning supplies. This makes no sense to me. It's a fact that well-trained staff contribute more profit to your bottom line. It's also a fact the customers don't like to visit dirty restaurants. Again a loss of clientele is going to take away from your bottom line. So, how do we change this thought process? How do we change the mentality of what they don't know won't hurt them (when in fact it can kill you)?  How do we make those who don't seem to care, care? I don't pretend to have the answers to all of these questions; nor, do I intend to throw everyone into this preverbal boat. But, I do know that we have many issues that need to be corrected as a whole and it starts at the top - with attitude.

Mold around edge of freezer 
Unidentifiable meat product, improper storage, filthy floor 
Uncovered product, cardboard in box, contaminated 
Unidentified meat product
Grapes
Stove

No comments:

Post a Comment