Translate

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Ain't Nobody Got Sick Yet!


Do you have any idea how many recalls there were this year?  How about foodbourne illnesses?  What about deaths due to foodbourne illnesses?  I can tell you the statistics are staggering!  Why?  All of this is 100% preventable!  I’ve said it before.  Somewhere between farm and fork, someone messed up and messed up big; because, now we have people getting sick and dying.  For those of you that don’t pay much attention to recalls, over the past several months Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream, Nesquick, Dole Bagged Salad, Infants Tylenol, have all been recalled - just to name a few…

And then, in California at a six bed senior care facility four people died because the caretaker made soup with poisonous mushrooms she picked from the yard.  Of course, this was unintentional.  She herself was hospitalized.

Again, why?  Everyone seems to have the - it won’t happen to me mentality.  “I’ve been cooking for 40 years, ain’t nobody got sick yet!”, if I’ve heard that once I’ve heard it a hundred times.  I’m telling you, it can and it does happen.  If it can happen to a large corporation, I can guarantee it can happen to you.  Educate yourself and if you own/manage a foodservice facility or if you feed people during the course of your workday educate your team.  Not because you have to, because it’s the right thing to do.  It’s the best insurance policy you can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment