Translate

Sunday, December 9, 2012

If the "Queen of Cooking" Can Make a Mistake, So Can You!

“I never get sick, but I came down with salmonella. I think I caught it because I was handling so many turkeys around Thanksgiving," Stewart told Page Six. "I was on the 'Today' show, I did a number of other [Thanksgiving] appearances. It really hit me hard and I was in bed for days. It was terrible." 
The above is a quote from Martha Stewart dubbed the, "Queen of Cooking".  I have news for her, simply handling those turkeys did not make her sick...somehow she ingested that salmonella.  Whether one of those birds (or the stuffing) wasn't cooked properly, she didn't wash her hands correctly, or maybe a cross contamination or cross contact happened somewhere - who knows?  At least at this point, it doesn't seem to have been a outbreak - the whole 'TODAY' show staff could have gotten ill, IF it had been from that particular turkey and IF they had all eaten it.  In reality, we will probably never know where Ms. Stewart's particular illness originated, because fortunately it seems she was the only one that became ill - it may not have been turkey at all.
Let this be a lesson to everyone that foodbourne illness can happen to ANYONE.  Food safety training for staff and employee's is key.  Basic knowledge for everyone is essential.  Knowledge prevents illness and saves lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment